Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dinner Party Part 3: Dessert (AKA: The Main Event)

If you've been reading my Blog--and I know you probably haven't--you would be able to figure out what I made for dessert for my dinner party. Want a hint? I ate three of them on Monday. It was brownies!!!

These are my dark chocolate brownies. They're mine because I sort of combine and modify two recipes, one from Epicurious and one from the BHG New Cookbook (not very gourmet, I know). Anyways, this is quite a chocolaty brownie with a crumbly texture and medium density (neither lead nor aluminum, hehe) I like them and my friends dug in at the party, so they must be alright. Brownies are super easy, everyone should make them. They will impress your friends with minimum effort.


Here's how I do it:


6 tablespoons butter (I use salted, I'm not a proper gourmet, but I don't add extra salt later)


4 ounces coarsely chopped unsweetened chocolate


1 cup sugar


2 eggs


1 teaspoon vanilla


2/3 cup all-purpose flour


1/2 teaspoon baking powder


1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stir it a lot, use a saucepan. When it's all melted, remove it from the heat and cool it somewhat.


2. Grease a 9-inch square cake pan.


3. Stir the sugar into the chocolate and butter goodness in the pot. Add the eggs individually and stir well between each addition. Add vanilla, stir again.


4. Stir together the flour and baking powder with a fork. Add this to the chocolaty goodness. Stir until it's combined, do not over-stir. Put the batter in the pan, really that's the best place for it.


5. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Take it out, cool it, cut it into brownies. (I broke mine flipping it out of the pan. But rustic brownies are good, so it was fine.)


Here's a gratuitous shot of the unbroken brownies in the pan:

Somebody should try to lift it out and eat the whole thing. But, that would be piggish, but delicious. And it would break. . .