Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dinner Party Part 2: Main Dishes

I did a really bad job of photographing the main dishes I made for my dinner party. So all you're going to see is the mango chutney above. It was served with an oven roasted pork tenderloin made using this recipe, with a few changes. The changes were that I used ground cumin and added it with the turmeric, I roasted the meat at 450 F to an internal tempertature of 155 F, and I omitted the cilantro because I don't really like it. This was the second time I made this reciped and it's good. Obviously that's why I made it again. The roasting probably took at least half an hour, but I wasn't timing it.

Anyways, the result was very good. Tender and lightly curry flavoured pork with a sweet, tart, and spicy chutney. I don't know about its authenticity as Indian food, but my Indian friend thought it was good and not totally Western. Anyways, the recipe tastes good and the chutney can be conveniently made in advance and served at room temperature.

In addition to the pork, I made shrimp. I like having pork with seafood. It just seems right, I think I've mentioned this before. Anyways, I used a pound of large shrimp to make "Border-Style Shrimp." I reduced the recipe to about 2/3 of the original amounts, but used all the spices. I also used a little olive oil instead of cooking spray as I don't own any and it's not my style. Anyways, I was too busy eating the shrimp and making the pork to photograph them. But they were good, a little tart from the lime, a touch of spice, and some buttery goodness. They were really fast and easy too, but I think shrimp sautees generally are. One could definitely do worse. Then again, I find shrimp intrinsically delicious and tastier than lobster. Lobster provides for my exciting eating though, what with all the shell cracking and digging for meat.