Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Cheeeese!!!

Over the last year, I've been on a bit of an informal and admittedly not very efficient cheese tasting mission. You see, after leaving Lister--land of the plastic cheese--I could buy my own cheese. Good cheese, flavourful cheese. I discovered by something of a random occurrence that I actually love strong cheese even the dreaded blue cheese. I ate some during lunch on my first day volunteering in the campus community garden last may. It was really good and I was driven to expand my cheese horizons. Here are a few of my notes about cheese, they're a little random because it's late:

Brie: I like this more for soft, creamy texture than flavour, but it's good.

Blue Cheese: Strong, smelly cheese flavour and a little goes a long way. . . mmm. This is why I like the salad in the previous post.

Cream Cheese:
Excellent on bagels, cheese cake is pretty darn good too. I love the creaminess and slight tang.

Cheddar:
This was my main cheese growing up and I still love it. The sharper the better. Mild cheddar is a no go.

Camembert: Also soft and creamy but mild.

Double Gloucester: Orange and British, it looked like cheddar, but the flavour was disappointingly mild compared to an old cheddar. It grew on me, though.

Edam: It had a red wax coating, the texture and flavour were not bad but not remarkable either.

Feta: I really like salty feta on pizza and with marinated roasted peppers on bread. It's the star of Greek salad, which is really and excuse to eat cheese.

Goat's Cheese (Chevre): I love the tang and the sort of creamy texture. To me it's like cream cheese gone wild. Wild is good.

Consider this the start of a list. More tomorrow perhaps.