Thursday, July 12, 2007

Emergency Gelato Update with Corrections

I took myself out for gelato tonight (but ended up with sorbet) because it was a freaking hot day, all days over 30C are in Edmonton. I went to Leva, which is on 111 Street and about 86th Ave. They make their own gelato and sorbet and had a fair assortment of flavours. I decided to go with fruity gelato again and ordered a single Apricot-Peach Sorbet (or was that Peach-Apricot) for $3.50 although I was tempted by the blueberry gelato. This is probably the best value for gelato and sorbet although portions are not especially generous. . . but it's sensible and bigger than it looks. If you must be a pig, you can buy a half or full litre of gelato.

Anyways, their sorbet is super thick. I would say that it has a really low air content. The texture was so incredibly dense and smooth. The flavour was sweet, fruity, and I believe natural. Certainly the subdued colour suggests a lack of artificial flavours and colours.

Needless to say, I will be back probably soon and probably back to my nut gelato eating ways.

Update: I recently had a double of pistachio and maple walnut gelato that was excellent. The gelato was a bit less dense in texture but very smooth and very tasty.