Saturday, June 23, 2007

Zucchini Absorption Pasta

I ordered a bunch of cookbooks online. . . plus one novel. One of the books is Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen. It is a really cute book with a lot of inspiring ideas. I haven't read it all, but I quite like it. The only problem is that it's hard to keep open, say when you're cooking from it due to its small size and binding style.

Anyways, above you see my version of the Pates Par Absorption, Courgette & Cacao from the book, which is like risotto-style pasta. However, I made 1/4 of the recipe to serve one. I used Asiago instead of Parmesan, omitted the cacao nibs (don't know where to find those), added some flat-leaf parsley at the end, and put skillet cooked pork chop slices on top 'cause this girl needs some protein too. Anyways, this recipe worked pretty well and was tasty in a starchy-creamy way. I like carbs so it was good. It was a nice use of zucchini, which is one of my favourite vegetables. At the end I found that I had to turn up the heat and uncover the pot so the dish wasn't too watery. I liked that it was faster to make than rice risotto.

Hmm, I seem to be on a risotto-type kick. I might try making risotto-style barley like Heidi Swanson suggests. Her book, Supernatural Cooking, is one of the other books I ordered.