Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Found My Vietnamese Fix

I was basically having a crisis here in Edmonton trying to find a decent Vietnamese Restaurant, specifically on that I liked. Yesterday, I found one in Chinatown. Pagolac was mentioned a few times on Chowhound as a good choice for Vietnamese. There is also a location on the Southside.

How do I know it was good? Excellent question: I know it was good because today, the next day, I think fondly of my bowl of Pho and want to eat it all over again. I think that's good enough, even if the food isn't absolutely perfect.

My dining companion, Albert, and I started by splitting "Vegetarian Egg Rolls". The order consisted of six fresh, hot mainly noodle filled spring rolls. They were good in the way fried things have of being good. I think we all know that way. Anyways, no complaints and they'd satisfy any spring roll craving.

Albert ordered a bowl of rice noodles with some meats and fried rolls on top. He downed it really freaking quick so it must have been tasty. But, there was some pink, not as in rare, meat that he didn't want to talk about after. Apparently that bit wasn't very good and perhaps should be avoided.

I had a beef Pho, the "special, deluxe" one or something. It had plenty of sliced beef, some of it rare, a meatball, tendon, and tripe, green onions, and rice noodles in a tasty broth. I added plenty of Thai Basil, bean sprouts, chili peppers, and hot sauce to spice things up. The regular portion was impressive for about $8. The noodles were not stuck together in a giant clump!!! It was incredible filling but I could not stop eating because I kept finding more tasty beef. I finished my meal incredibly stuffed, but hey rice noodles and broth should digest fast and easy, no?

Later that night, I sipped a glass of Cabernet sauvegeon at the Sugarbowl. It's a fabulous place for an evening drink. Plus, a brick of Pho in the stomach helps with alcohol tolerance, hehe.