Monday, May 28, 2007

Final Comments on the Canmore Trip

I want to mention a few things about the breakfasts on the Canmore trip. Come to think of it, I really don't talk about breakfast as much as you'd think. That's probably because I usually eat cereal, which I enjoy more than I should and fruit. There's not too much to say, although Shreddies are awesome. That's not very gourmet of me is it?

Anyways, the first two mornings in Canmore, we ate breakfast in the rented condo. It was pretty ordinary with a strong raisin theme. I ate Raisin Bran and some sort of raisin bread product both mornings. I also had an egg, some banana, and an orange. All of this seemed too ordinary, and like I was eating too much. It was accompanied by a guilty pleasure. What could that be? Perhaps processed creamy peanut butter my parents brought. I tell myself I love natural peanut butter, and it is good. But I couldn't get enough of the salted, sweetened taste of the processed stuff, especially that first morning.

By Monday morning, I was tired of eating in like I was at home every morning. So, I asked for and received a promise of breakfast out. We chose a place that my parents had eaten at for dinner before and thought was good. I'm going to omit the name. We were seated fairly quickly, our orders were taken, coffee brought (not for me), and then we waited. And waited. For an hour. Yes, an hour for breakfast. I think it was crazy. At breakfast people haven't eaten in perhaps twelve hours. I was very hungry. We got excuses from the server that seemed to suggest the kitchen was understaffed or something and couldn't keep up.

Eventually, I did get my cheddar and apple crepes from the extensive breakfast menu, they were pretty good. I ate way more than I should have. It was tasty but perhaps too syrupy inside with the apples and the cheddar could have been better. The hash browns were deep fried and I prefer pan fried ones. But, for the price it was quite a good breakfast, if only it could have appeared in a shorter time frame.

How long do you think is reasonable to wait for breakfast?