Thursday, April 26, 2007

In Praise of Mangoes (plus Papaya Watch 2007)

I mentioned my "special" grocery shopping trip in my porky post. Now I'm on to the magic of produce. I bought a couple of tropical fruits, a mango and a papaya. I love mangoes. I've only ever had the typical mangoes that tend to be large and coloured red and green. But, I saw some much smaller, yellow mangoes. This piqued my interest, so i bought one. They had a name, but I can't remember it. If you happen to be a mango expert, fill me in on what you think this is:





There's nothing there for scale, but I think it was about half the size of the typical mango variety. And when I cut into it, the flesh was so beautiful.


Well, it doesn't look that special, just golden and juicy like a mango should be and I guess a mango is special. And you're probably wondering: what about the taste? I don't buy mangoes for looks and I devoured this one with my breakfast. The texture was unusually smooth aside from the fibrous bits near the pit. The flavour was sweet and mangolicious, better than most mangoes. (Mangolicious refers to the uniquely delicious flavour of mangoes.) Plus, it was small enough to eat in one sitting without feeling like a mango hog, which is rather convenient. If you see a little yellow mango, but it, it will be delicious assuming this single mango was a representative sample of all little yellow mangoes, perhaps a dubious assumption. The only downside was a slight bitterness near the skin, best not to try to shave the flesh off too close to the skin, but I think I've noticed this with all mangoes.

And now, onto my other tropical fruit, the Hawaiian papaya. I ate some papaya in Hawaii two Decembers ago, it was out of season and not that amazing. I think it had potential for deliciousness though and the rest of my family raved about ones they'd eaten earlier, while I was enduring final exams. Wanting to give papaya another go, I bought one. It was hard and quite green when I bought it. To be honest, I didn't know what qualities I was looking for. At home, I read that a ripe papaya is mostly yellow and yields slightly to gentle pressure. Mine was mostly green and hard. Right now it's ripening, and this is the progress (on the yellowest side):

Will it ripen? When? How will it taste? Come back next week. . . or whenever it happens. Same bat channel, same bat time. (You may wonder, "What's with the Batman references?" I think i live in a cave.)