Monday, April 30, 2007

The Conclusion of Papaya Watch 2007

I promised an update when my Hawaiian papaya ripened. And I'm sure you waited and checked here constantly like it's Facebook for the results. Actually, I'm sure nobody did, but it is my sworn duty to report.

First we get a look at the ripe papaya. I actually decided it was ripe on Sunday, but then I put it in the fridge until today, because it wasn't a good eating opportunity.


The ripe papaya is mostly yellow and was somewhat soft to the touch. So, I cut it open.

The flesh is orange, I remember something redder before, but I think this is the right colour for a Hawaiian papaya. Correct me if I'm wrong. Note the round black seeds, these reminded me a bit of seeds in a winter squash. They were easily removed with a spoon. This brings me to a "my stupid dad" story. He saw a freshly cut papaya in Hawaii a few months ago and asked "What's that stuff in it?" I thought we all expected seeds in fruit.

Anyways, the papaya texture was quite soft. The flavour, was not very sweet and maybe too subtle for my taste. It seemed kind of fragrant and I guess it was nice but, the mango's taste kicked it's a$$. Papaya watch 2007. . . worth it only for curiosity's sake. Eat more mangoes.