Sunday, April 22, 2007

And this is how you synthsize breakfast for lunch: AKA Buttermilk Pancakes

So, for my first entry I'll tell you about making pancakes instead of studying. Pancakes are one of my many, many favourite foods. I have strange memories of myself as a child trying to eat at least ten pancakes at breakfast on the weekends. I think my dad made them really small when I was younger. As I got older I got confused as to why I couldn't eat as many as I did when I was younger. Was it possible that my breakfast eating capacity--really an enormous capacity--was shrinking while I grew? I think that's quite impossible.



Anyways, now that I live on my own I rarely make complex breakfasts like pancakes for breakfast. Usually, I upgrade them to lunch. Yesterday I decided that I wanted pancakes for lunch. I hadn't eaten them since a breakfast at the High Level Diner almost two months ago. Those pancakes were okay....but oddly tough. I ate them all anyway. The Amateur Gourmet once raved about buttermilk pancakes using this recipe from Epicurious. I always liked buttermilk pancakes from restaurants but had never bought and used buttermilk myself. So I decide that I would go to Safeway and actually buy some buttermilk to make pancakes.



Later, I stirred together the ingredients for half the recipe with a fork--no whisk for me. I dropped the batter into my beloved frying pan and the cooking pancakes looked like this:
















I accidentally undercooked the first batch, but don't they look good with some random accouterments:















As I side note, I'm usually more fond of ham than bacon.....unlike my roommate.

The second round of pancakes were cooked to a more perfect consistency. They look lovely in close-up:
















These pancakes were really soft and puffy and delicious. You should make them. They're super easy, as long as you let them brown up enough that they're not raw in the the middle. And buying buttermilk is worth it for the pancakes. I was curious about it so I tasted it plain and it was like drinking the juice in cottage cheese, very odd. And that is the story of my synthesis of a pancake breakfast....or lunch.